Autor Tema: Looking for info on the Dogo  (Leído 6296 veces)

Desconectado DrySnot

• Novato
Looking for info on the Dogo
« en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 13:24 »
Whats up

My wife and I are looking for our first dog. We are a very loving couple that really enjoys cuddling and being silly. We want a dog that would like to join in on our fun. I don't think either of us really have a dominant personalty but we are willing to learn how to take care of our dog.

I'm learning about the breed but I hope you guys can maybe give me some pointers or advice.

This is going to be our first dog/child. My wife and I don't have any kids yet maybe in 3 or 4 years so for now the dog will be are baby.

I started off wanting to get a Mastiff but we thought the size would not be a good idea for an apartment. We really have no idea though.

After looking at a lot of other dogs a really tried to like the bulldogs but I have decided I really want a Mastiff.

My wife doesn't really want a dog thats so big... Plus I may have made a few to many jokes about how slobbery she would be after they finished playing.

Then I found this dog! It sounds amazing so far but I haven't found a lot of info on it.

Do they have any health problems?
How much if any do they drool?
Is there a way to tell if I am dominant enough to be the dogs owner?

I don't really know what a guard dog is.. That may sound stupid but when I was growing up our family dog barked when people came down the drive way and we called him a guard dog. I would like to have a dog that could protect my family but I mainly want a dog that we can cuddle and pet and love on and treat like a child. I don't want to have to worrie about him attacking a anyone unless we are in real danger.

We live in a modestly sized apartment complex so a lot of people and other dogs. There is a place for us to workout in the complex so the only working out the dog will get is going to be an afternoon jog around the park across the street once a day 1 - 2 miles. On the weekends we would like to be able to take the dog on some kind of activity like searching for things or playing some kind of active games thats fun for all of us or teaching tricks.

I don't mind the drool or snoring but I don't want to be worried about the health of my dog all the time because he sounds like he can't breath. Thats really just the English bulldog but I just want to know they are healthy dogs?

I know I've went on an on but I would really like your advice on the dog.

Are there are any breeders that I could talk to about my plans to buy?
Are there any books or skills my wife and I need before we get the puppy?

I just want what everyone else does when it comes down to it. A good healthy dog and some tips on how to keep him that way.

Thanks so much for helping me out.

Desconectado chino

• Ya es como de la Familia
  • La chica de los 4 perros blancos
Re: Looking for info on the Dogo
« Respuesta #1 en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 14:01 »
Hi and welcome to the argentinian dogue´s world! As you talk about yoursef I think this is not your breed (sorry  :-)) Argentinian dogue is a very dominant dog and I think that if it´s your first dog and you already know that neither of you both are enough dominant it´s possible that you can´t handle it.
This is a hunter dog which does not mean that you only have to use it for that, but is a dog that needs to much exercise. Maybe you can start with an easier breed as boxer, or labrador retriever...
Anyways if this is the breed both of you have decided try it, but you´ll have to be strong enough!!!!

Good luck!!!
ARRIBA LOS BLANQUITOS SALEROSOS

Desconectado ElReyDeLasPampas

• Ya Caza Pajaritos
    • El Rey De Las Pampas
« Respuesta #2 en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 19:22 »
No, not a boxer. To handle a boxer you also have to be dominant, because they have too much energy in them. To own a dogo you have to be a person who when says NO to a dog, is a NO! Dogo argentino is very smart dog, and he see's if he can be boss in the family, if you know and manage to learn dogo his place in the family, then he makes a wonderfull family dog.

Desconectado DrySnot

• Novato
« Respuesta #3 en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 19:57 »
Thank you guys so much for th reply.

However I really don't think that how dominant we are is going to be an issue. There is a type of training I have been studying that is called NILIF (Nothing in life is free)

Thank you for the advice though.

Desconectado ElReyDeLasPampas

• Ya Caza Pajaritos
    • El Rey De Las Pampas
« Respuesta #4 en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 20:37 »
Yes, but if I am right, that program is all about the food wright? Well, you can see alot of dogo's who don't care so much about the food, it isn't a labrador, that he will do everything for food. Maybe when he is a little, later, not so much  :wink:

Desconectado pablo22279

• Ya es como de la Familia
  • Todo un sentimiento
« Respuesta #5 en: 08 de Enero de 2008, 21:50 »
hi, welcome. I agree, the retriever is a good dog for you.

This is going to be our first dog/child.
The reason would be this. The principal problems begin when we treat it as a child.
The Dogo Argentino it's not for anyone.
You can begin with another dog to take experience.
Pardon if i was very hard, it's only my opinion.

Desconectado DrySnot

• Novato
« Respuesta #6 en: 09 de Enero de 2008, 00:13 »
Insertar Cita
Yes, but if I am right, that program is all about the food wright? Well, you can see alot of dogo's who don't care so much about the food, it isn't a labrador, that he will do everything for food. Maybe when he is a little, later, not so much 

No its not the use of food.

The program begins by eliminating attention on demand. When your dog comes to you and nudges your hand, saying "pet me! pet me!" ignore him. Don't tell him "no", don't push him away. Simply pretend you don't notice him. This has worked for him before, so don't be surprised if he tries harder to get your attention. When he figures out that this no longer works, he'll stop. In a pack situation, the top ranking dogs can demand attention from the lower ranking ones, not the other way around. When you give your dog attention on demand you're telling him that he has more status in the pack than you do. Timid dogs become stressed by having this power and may become clingy. They're never sure when you'll be in charge so they can't relax. What if something scary happens, like a stranger coming in the house? Who will handle that? The timid dog that is demanding of attention can be on edge a lot of the time because he has more responsibility than he can handle.

Some dogs see their ability to demand attention as confirmation that they are the "alpha", then become difficult to handle when told to "sit" or "down" or some other demand is placed on them. It is not their leadership status that stresses them out, it's the lack of consistency. They may or may not actually be alpha material, but having no one in the pack that is clearly the leader is a bigger problem than having the dog assume that role full time. Dogs are happiest when the pack order is stable. Tension is created by a constant fluctuation of pack leadership.

Read more at http://k9deb.com/nilif.htm
hi, welcome. I agree, the retriever is a good dog for you.

This is going to be our first dog/child.
The reason would be this. The principal problems begin when we treat it as a child.
The Dogo Argentino it's not for anyone.
You can begin with another dog to take experience.
Pardon if i was very hard, it's only my opinion.

Thank you very much for you opinion it means a lot to get the truth even if its hard and not what you are wanting to here.

I appreciate your opinions greatly. I have been looking for the perfect dog for awhile now. I have said about 5 times now that this ((insert breed)) is the dog I am getting it no matter what.

Then I start studding the dog and learning about it and I have so far been very good at talking myself out of the dog and moving on to another one.

When I say it will be my fist pet i mean its the first dog that is mine and my responsibility. Growing up my family all ways had a dog or two, and cats. I wasn't the main one responsible for cleaning and feeding our dogs but I spent the most time teaching them tricks and playing with them up until I moved out and went to college. Now I have finished school got married and my wife and I want a dog.

Let me reword my question a little.

Is there anything I can read or do that would prepare me for being a good owner of this dog?

The reason I am asking is because I don't want a retriever. Yea I know they are great dogs but I just don't think they are for me. In my eyes they are not anywhere as beautiful as the Dogo Argentino. I want a tough looking dog that is able to defend my wife or myself if ever it was needed and all that dogs I have found that meet that criteria are a little harder to manage than your ever day retriever or lab.

I have come really close to getting a English Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Mastiff, Bull Mastiff, Neapolitan Mastiff, and an America Bulldog.

All of these dogs have met my first requirement of looks but between my wife and I have been weeded out for one reason or another.

Thank you guys so much for taking the time to read this and share your opinion with me.
Sorry I got alittle long winded.
« última modificación: 09 de Enero de 2008, 00:16 por DrySnot »

Desconectado White Ghosts Dogos

• Ya Caza Perdiz
  • White Ghost´s Dogo´s Bernardo
    • White Ghost´s Dogo´s
« Respuesta #7 en: 09 de Enero de 2008, 06:19 »
I would say the dogo is a lovley dog but not a dog for all people. It is first a hunting dog, with hunting instincts and should be trained in tracking if you are not able to hunt.

It is also not the first dog to buy as a first dog, then there are more better breeds, I would recomend as fist dog.

Health problems in the breed is they can have problem with hearing so make sure if you are buying that the puppie is  BAER tested and that it shows full hearing. Also look close on menality on the parents. Go around and look at many breeders, do a lot of research about the breeder.

Is there anything I can read or do that would prepare me for being a good owner of this dog?

Yes there is a lot you can do. Go and visit breeders, meet dogos, try to be around dogos to get to know the breed. You can also go to dog shows and talk to people that owns dogos. Read a lot of information on the internet.
Good luck with your research  :-D

Kennel White Ghosts´s Dogo´s
Only The Best Is Good Enough...
www.whiteghostsdogos.com

Desconectado DrySnot

• Novato
« Respuesta #8 en: 09 de Enero de 2008, 06:24 »
Thank you very much for the advice.

That sounds like the best thing for me to do thank you so much.

Dogo Argentino - Foro Dogo Argentino

« Respuesta #8 en: 09 de Enero de 2008, 06:24 »

Legal: Si bien este foro requiere una registración, el mismo es de libre acceso y es por eso que los webmasters, administradores y moderadores no nos responsabilizamos por la veracidad de la información aquí publicada. Los comentarios publicados por los usuarios de este foro son responsabilidad de los mismos y no reflejan necesariamente la opinión de los webmasters, administradores y moderadores. El Foro Internacional del Dogo Argentino. Para ponerse en contacto con la administración del foro escribanos a webmaster(arroba)dogoargento.com.ar

Instalación Cámaras Seguridad Dogo Argentino